Clicky

Bee Happy and Healthy: Climb Ben Nevis Today!

Climb Ben Nevis Today!

Friday, 31 January 2014


Fancy climbing Ben Nevis with me? 

I've taken on a challenge as part of my resolution to Bee Active.

I am going to climb Ben Nevis!

Well kind of ….

I've signed up with the Healthy Working Lives in the NHS to climb the stairs at work to conquer Ben Nevis.  It is 8810 steps to the top of Nevis.

I've already started and counted that when I walk to the wards to see patients, I climb 129 stairs.  So every time I go up from our office I am edging my way up the mountain.  When I'm working in  outpatients clinic I only climb 31 stairs, significantly lower! Plus I only work part time so to get my steps in on time I need to count some extra stairs at home or go up and down the stairs a few times!

Maths isn't my strong point but I reckon if I aim for 196 stairs per day I will get there in 45 days.

So if you need me - I'll be on the stairs!

Fun Facts about Ben Nevis

  • Over 150,000 people climb Ben Nevis every year
  • The mountain stands at 4406ft (1344m)
  • It is the highest mountain in Britain
  • There is an emergency shelter at the summit for those who may get stuck in bad weather
  • The Ben Nevis race is held in September & fit folk actually run up and down the mountain!
  • The record for the race is 1hour 25mins - OMG!
  • On a clear day there is a 360 degree view that extends 100m & you can see Northern Ireland
To keep me motivated my record chart has some landmarks on the way up - So far I've climbed the Sydney Opera House in Australia, Big Ben in London and the Forth Rail Bridge in Scotland!

Steps Climbed
Landmark
320
Millennium Dome
425
Sydney Opera House, Australia
632
Big Ben
997
BT Tower
1036
Blackpool Tower
1164
Seattle Space Needle
1600
Canary Wharf Tower
2860
Petronas Twin Tower, Malaysia
3500
CN Tower, Toronto
6180
Scafell Pike, England
7120
Mount Snowden, Wales
8810
Ben Nevis, Scotland

“Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” 
― Barry FinlayKilimanjaro and Beyond
Do you fancy the challenge? Any words of encouragement?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger